Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Elizabeth: LeakyCon


Leakycon, Leakycon, what can I say about Leakycon? Though supermegaawesomefoxyhot probably covers it, I might venture into a little more detail than that. 
Wednesday: registration! Now, ordinarily standing in long lines to register only to be told  that they’ve lost yours (among many others) forcing you to go stand in even longer lines (about 3 hrs long) would be a Bad Thing, but not at Leakycon. Lines, which were there in abundance, at Leakycon was like a speed-dating for friends where everyone wins.
The first line I met a girl called in Elizabeth from Ravenclaw and I’m 99% sure I wasn’t just chatting to a mirror. Admittedly I didn’t see her for the rest of the con (and there wasn’t a lot of mirrors about), but it was still pretty cool.
The second line, the scary “conflict resolution line” was awesome. People were breaking out into “Gotta Get Back to Hogwarts” (which was pretty much the theme song of the week), and I made friends with fellow c/r peeps Alex, Gryffindor and Bryanna, Ravenclaw Prefect  (who we did hang out with during the rest of the week). I was also mistaken for British by a British medieval archaeologist who I could barely understand. Plus John Green walked past twice and I was about half a metre from Maureen Johnson at one stage. I find it hard to fathom that any cue in the rest of my life will top this one.
But enough about standing in line! (For this post anyway) Once successfully registered we were forced to give up our amazing lining up experience and went and had lunch at the hotel’s Chinese Restaurant which had created a Harry Potter themed menu! Unfortunately I didn’t get a copy of said menu because apparently the waitress didn’t realise that sometimes crazy Harry Potter fans need copies of menus. Americans are weird. 
The theme of the week was graduating Hogwarts so for our programme we got this gorgeous hardcover yearbook - with everyone’s photos, info on the staff and the various departments! The opening ceremonies were amazing with a commencement address and some performances, including Granger Danger sung by Joey Richter and Loren Lopez!!! 
I was fortunate (unlike poor Tara) to have my permission slip to the trip to Hogsmeade signed, so it was off to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter next! When we arrived the muggles were still there so it was a tad crowded, but still fun to see the train, and Zonkos, Honeydukes, the Hogsmeade branch of the franchise of Olivanders… It was pretty incredible! Eventually the muggles left and we prepared to be amazed. We rode a hippogriff, took the dragon’s challenge and drank free butterbeek (yum!) and pumpkin juice (little strange, but nice). My absolute favourite part was definitely forbidden journey! For this ride you went though Hogwarts where the portraits talked, Ron accidentally made it snow and every detail was just perfect. Of course, that was just the line! I almost wish that it had been busier so I was forced to take longer going though, but that’s probably something I shouldn’t complain about (plus I said I wouldn’t talk about lining up any more). The ride itself was AMAZING. It was a combination of real props and screens with seamless transitions. We were chased by dragons, dementors and Draco. Spiders spat, dragons breathed fire and I think we helped Harry win the quidditch match and save the day! I loved being thrown around, diving and spinning, it was just such a cool ride.
Eventually of course we had to leave, barely pausing the join the dance party at the train and coming home to collapse ready for the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment